My wife 85 years old ,who retired 30 years ago, obtained a…

Customer Question
My wife 85 years...

My wife 85 years old ,who retired 30 years ago, obtained a reward for assisting in preparing a script for a NETFLIX movie;is this award $34,000.00 taxable?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Yes, the "award" or "reward" would be deemed income so it would be taxable. Please let me know if that answers your question. And I apologize if it's not good news... please don't shoot the messenger - I have an ethical obligation to tell you the truth!!! If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! You can still ask follow up questions after rating - and of course please ask if you need clarification to anything I've writtenThere may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.