My fiancé has a rental agreement with language that early…

My fiancé has a rental...
My fiancé has a rental agreement with language that early termination would require 60 days notice and two months of rent as compensation. However, the language also says the landlord is responsible for prompt repair of the apartment upon written notification of the items needing repair. Over a month ago the heating unit broke and no attempt has been made to repair the unit. The landlord was notified multiple times that nothing has been fixed and it needs to be fixed. It appears to be a breach by the landlord. Upon further inspection of the agreement I am not seeing any relief to the tenant in the event of breach by the landlord. Under NC law, in the absence of reasonable relief for a tenant, is there any reason the tenant should have to pay the two months termination penalty when the landlord fails to repair the heating unit for the apartment for over 30 days through some of the coldest storms NC had this season?This is the only language I can find about breach by the landlord. "Landlord's Default; Limitation of Remedies and Damages: Until the Tenant notifies the Landlord in writing of an alleged default and affords the Landlord a reasonable time within which to cure, no default by the Landlord in the performance of any of the promises or obligations herein agreed to by him or imposed upon him by law shall constitute a material breach of this lease and the Tenant shall have no right to terminate this lease for any such default or suspend his performance hereunder. In no event and regardless of their duration shall any defective condition of or failure to repair, maintain, or provide any area, fixture or facility used in connection with recreation or recreational activities, including but not limited to swimming pools, club houses, and tennis courts, constitute a material breach of this lease and the Tenant shall have no right to terminate this lease or to suspend his performance hereunder. In any legal action instituted by the Tenant against the Landlord, the Tenant's damages shall be limited to the difference, if any, between the rent reserved in this lease and the reasonable rental value of the Premises, taking into account the Landlord's breach or breaches, and in no event, except in the case of the Landlord's willful or wanton negligence, shall the Tenant collect any consequential or secondary damages resulting from the breach or breaches, including but not limited to the following items: damage or destruction of furniture or other personal property of any kind located in or about the Premises, moving expenses, storage expenses, alternative interim housing expenses, and expenses of locating and procuring alternative housing."
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here's the lease agreement.
3/23/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Thanks for your patience while I typed up my response!

Based on the information you shared above, your fiance's landlord actually breached the lease when he failed to repair the heat in her rental unit after being given proper notice, in writing.

The law you cited is accurate -- notice needs to be given of the defect, in writing, and the landlord given time to remedy the problem.

It appears your fiance did all of the above.

That means that her landlord's failure to repair the heat, was a material breach of the lease which relieved her of any further liability under the lease.

In other words, she would be able to move out of the apartment, without incurring any early termination penalty at all.

Since the landlord breached his duties under the lease, she is no longer bound by it.

If he still attempts to file an eviction order, or a small claims suit later on for the "defaulted" rent, she should make sure to attend the hearing and contest his claims, by supplying the judge evidence of the heat problem, and the notice that she gave him of if, and his failure to fix it.

This will ensure that she does not get an eviction order entered on record against her, or a civil default judgment entered against her.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I appreciate this. Have a great weekend!

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones