I want to get out of a vacation time share. Can I do this.

Customer Question
I want to get...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have not taken ant steps - I am not sure where I should start.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
Can you please tell me a little bit about the circumstances surrounding your purchase of the time share?

The time share is with Diamond International. I owned a small amount of points that I purchased in 2013. In 2017 I went to a presentation where I was told that I could buy more points at the rate that I purchased the points in 2013. This was a considerable discount. I also purchased more points during a phone call in 2017. I now own 15,000 points and am paying $719 a month at an interest rate of 17.99%. The total amount I currently owe is $43,000.
I went to Hawaii for a vacation this January. I went to a presentation by Diamond International. I was told that what I purchased in July 2017 were actually a selling of the points that I had which were purchased in Hawaii and worth more than US points which are worth less. I was given to opportunity of paying purchasing the points I had at a total price of $122,245.
I refused.
I would like to discontinue payment to this time share.
Thank you
Will you be able to help me?

Give me just a sec to read what you wrote :)

So here is the issue with time shares. They are RIDICULOUSLY hard to get rid of - and if you wanted to sue to get rid of yours (arguing fraud or misrepresentation) or something along those lines you would need to bring your suit in whatever place is states in your contract (which is bound to be ridiculously inconvenient - at least for most people). I don't know anything about your specific company but I can tell you I have a time share (that I don't use) and I have lots of friends who have time shares (that they don't use) and I pretty much regret ALL the time ever getting it.

Hello? Is there anything else I can answer for you? I wanted to make sure you received my last answer.