Among many questions ... I’d like to know if my ex husbands…

Customer Question
Among many questions .....

Among many questions ... I’d like to know if my ex husbands chapter 13 bankruptcy will affect me financially.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

New York. I think so but he keeps me out of the loop and he threatened me not to get involved

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

I don’t know

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My ex really took advantage of my naivety. I was married for 17 years with three kids. Now I’m stuck broke without my kids all because he had the money smarts and experience with a previous divorce. I feel helpless

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 28 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 28 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There are a couple ways that his filing bankruptcy can affect you, and I will explain those to you.

First can you let me know, how long have you two been divorced? Is the divorce process still underway?

Have you been awarded alimony payments?

Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer