Can I file a claim in small claims court in Montana if the…

Customer Question
Can I file a...

Can I file a claim in small claims court in Montana if the defendant lives in Oregon?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MT lawyer about this?

No, I have not.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have sent 2 demand letters by certified mail. He responded with a phone call saying he acknowleges the debt. He received a sum of money that more than would cover the loan, but sent a check for $100 & wants to pay back the $5540 in monthly pmts of $100. I sent another certified letter saying that is not acceptable and to pay it all by April 2nd.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was convicted of many counts of sex abuse of his step daughter (my granddaughter) in May 2010. He was just released from Oregon State Pen. in October 2017. He lives with his mother & step father in Portland OR. My daughter just got her divorce, and he closed out an account so that all back federal & state taxes could be paid. She did that and sent him his 1/2 of the remainder--$18600.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 4 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Does this person have any connection to Montana (such as having lived in Montana, or agreed to teh debt in Montana, etc...)? Or are you his only connection to Montana?

Are you there?

I see you have not responded in some time. Did you wish to continue with this question?