I have 2 questions i hope i can get some help with. I am in…

Customer Question
Good afternoon, i have...

Good afternoon, i have 2 questions i hope i can get some help with.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in south carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None i do not know where to start and i do not know that there is anything i can do to recoop my loss.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, i am wanting to collect on moneys owed to me but i have no contract or anything in writing.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear a person has not honored their debt to you;

A contract can be written (which makes it easiest to prove) but it can also be oral or implied. For example the court will look to any evidence such as canceled checks to the recipient (borrower), partial payments to the lender, any texts/emails, exchange of property etc to determine if there was in fact an offer, acceptance, and consideration, the elements required for a valid contract.
If so the court can enter judgment in the amount still owed.

For debts less than $7500 "small claims" is appropriate; please see:

https://www.sccourts.org/selfhelp/FAQMagistrate.pdf

Normally the lender plaintiff would first send a demand letter to the borrower requesting payment per the terms of the agreement or if no such date or the date has passed, then usually within 5-10 business days, and then if no response the plaintiff lender can file suit.

Often times the defendant will try to settle or pay in full before judgment is rendered since a judgment is entered into one's credit report as a public record.

Statute of limitations apply so a suit must be filed before the time period runs (for oral contracts, 3 years):

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t15c003.php

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer