I cosigner for a car. The car was repossessed. My pay check…

Customer Question
I cosigner for a...

I cosigner for a car. The car was repossessed. My pay check is being garnish. I never received any notification of court proceedings. When I looked closely at the contract, they placed my name as the buyer and the other person as the cosigner

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Michigan. And no I'm looking for help

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I went to court to object to the garnishment judgement and used procedural due process. The judge said it was an invalid objection

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The person who I cosigner for savings account was frozen for the exact amount of the deficiency. But they are filling a chapter 13

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Can I stop the garnishment judgement? And how? Can I sue the dealership that wrote the contract wrong? When the actual buyer starts the chapter 13, WI I have the cosigner protection that chapter 13 offers cosigners?
Will I be able to get any of the money back that has been garnish so far?
Will a court throw the case out due to the fact that I wasn't served noticed properly?

Thanks for your patience. Let me take your questions one by one:

1. You can stop the garnishment by requesting with the courts that the garnishment be stopped. If you click here, you can see the procedures for doing that depending on your MI county.

2. You can sue the dealership if you believe they engaged in fraud as a result of their actions.

3. You won't have co-signer protection. Personal bankruptcy only applies to that person. You'd have to file on your own.

4. You may be able to get some of that money back if you can show that the garnishment was improperly issued.

5. The court may not throw a case out, but they probably will reset the case to give you a chance to object to the existence or the amount of the garnishment.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?