I was staying at my friends house with his mom while he was…

Customer Question
I was staying at...

I was staying at my friends house with his mom while he was in jail and I told her that I was going to be moving out. And I just have a few personal belongings like my military records and she is holding my stuff ransom for rent that is not due until the 3rd and I have told her that rents not due until then. Also I did not have any legal agreement and she’s done this to many other people. An I have a police officer just go with me and get my military records I don’t have any other stuff.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Rhode Island and I have all text message and she has told me she would let me get my things for 5200 dollars when she told me I only owe 300

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Reached out by as if I had a lease agreement month to month and I have not broke any laws and she is very well known to local authorities and with harrrasing me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is also in position of my firearm and I told police that she was not going to give it to me even if I have the police take it. I had put my own lock on my door and she broke in wile I was at work so I don’t know what she has done with any of my stuff

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Great she’s having me get my stuff but with a outrageous amount of money and I have also taken care of her house car aka like all landlord duties and paid for things that I never needed or asked for. I document everything

Even if you are in default, the landlord cannot hold your possession hostage. If she doesn't voluntarily allow you to recover your possessions, you can indeed call the police to force her to let you in. She also cannot simply lock you out even if you hadn't paid the rent, she couldn't simply lock you wout without getting an eviction order. So, everything she is doing constitutes an illegal eviction and "conversion" of your property, which entitles you to actual and punitive damages in a civil suit. You don't have to pay to get your stuff.

Great she’s having me get my stuff but with a outrageous amount of money and I have also taken care of her house car aka like all landlord duties and paid for things that I never needed or asked for

Thanks so much

You're very welcome!

It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Was so helpful and nice to have a fast awnser

Thank you so much for your kind words!