What can I do and what type of law is it called, if you talk…

What can I do...

What can I do and what type of law is it called, if you talk with your Mayor in your small town and you have confided in him with confidence that he would not go to a public business and talk and laugh about your conversation with other people there?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None! I just found out yesterday after our conversation on phone about the dirty cop and the dirty cop was in the conversation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know, is there anything I can do? I know that it is gossip and that can never be stopped. But, I would like to shake them up and let them know that citizens have rights!

3/23/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

This involves my 44 year old son that has been harassed by a policeman here in the small town. He gave my son a ticket and has accused him of being on drugs, calling my sons boss trying to get him fired! I called the mayor wanting to review the video cam and ask questions. Our whole conversation according to some passerby’s in the business told me that it was a laughing joke on their (mayor and police) part. There's more complaints and situations that have happened, other than ours!

Based on the information you've shared, you may be able to file a defamation lawsuit against the mayor.

In a defamation lawsuit, there are 4 things that must be proven:

1. that the defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning you
  2. that the defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party
  3. that the publisher acted at least negligently in publishing the communication
  4. you suffered damages as a result

You should speak with a civil lawyer in your area to discuss the details of your case further, and to discuss the possibility of filing a lawsuit.

Most civil attorney work on a contingency fee basis, which means you don't have to pay anything up front and they recover their fees when you win a judgment in your case.

You can contact the Alabama State Bar for a referral to a civil lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(800)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones

You can also consider contacting the Internal Affairs Bureau for your county, and making a report concerning this officer and his behavior.

The IA Bureau is there to investigate officer misconduct and can take the appropriate action to remedy the situation. For example, additional training for the officer, a reprimand, a demotion, a suspension, etc.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones