My 18 year old senior has been accused of harrassment at…

My 18 year old...

My 18 year old senior has been accused of sexual harrassment at school. Do I need a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is your senior in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wyoming

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your senior taken so far?

He was called to the office yesterday and met with all 4 administrators, the SRO and Director of support services who questioned him. He admitted he drew a picture that said" I heart anal" and had called a girl babe after the girls had been joking about anal sex. He has been given 1 day suspension, 1 week of cubes, which is isolated school and 2 weeks of "stars" program which is character building. He did not write a statement. The girls were able to write statements. There were 3 other boys involved, all to greater extent, but all say the "joking" was reciprocal

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this free because we have our own local attorney.

3/23/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I cannot even imagine how difficult and frustrating this situation must be for you. Often, I prefer not to recommend attorneys until all other avenues for possible resolution have been attempted, but given the stigma that can attach to these types of allegations, it may be worthwhile to consider an attorney in your area familiar with education laws in your state and who knows all the methods this decision may be able to be appealed or challenged. If the other boys were also punished - or even if not - it may be prudent to reach out to their parents, if you know them, to see if all of you could speak with school administrators about the fact that these boys were joking and perhaps did not understand the full impact of that kind of joking but that you believe this punishment overlooks the real issue, which is that all of the students needs some more information about what constitutes harassment. Though I certainly do not in any way question the seriousness of sexual harassment, and have handled workplace harassment claim throughout my legal career, we are in a time right now where schools, especially, need to balance information and punishment. These kids are going through the difficult teenage years already, they probably are in more need of guidance than judgment in cases like you describe.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer