Verizon requires I secure a court order to secure phone/text…

Customer Question
Verizon requires I secure...

Verizon requires I secure a court order to secure phone/text messages for as far back as they can go. I’m trying to figure out how this works in terms of the steps I need to take.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just finding out from Verizon I need a court order.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this point

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A local attorney can issue a subpoena to get copies of the messages, as long as you reasonably believe that you'll be filing a lawsuit or if you have a lawsuit already pending. It's also possible to get a blank subpoena from the clerk of the court, but you must already have a pending lawsuit before you can do that. If you've already got a cased filed, call the clerk of the court to ask what the fee is. They might mail you a subpoena if you send them a self-address envelope and a copy of the fee, or you should be able to go pick one up yourself.

Without a pending case, already, then it's a question of whether you want to go ahead and file or pay a lawyer to get the information for you. With something like a divorce where you're sure you'll be going to court either way, it might be worth filing yourself. If you need to know what's in the messages before making a decision, it might be preferable to pay a lawyer to get the documents and save yourself the filing fee until you know if you need it.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 30 days ago

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney