My wife purchased a house last summer.i left my home in

Customer Question
My wife purchased a...

My wife purchased a house last summer.i left my home in atlanta to come to houston to share in on the work.of the house.ive been here helping and spending money on repairs of the house.but the house is not in my name or on the deed through tax records.we have been married 32 yrs.well a argument took place and she threaten to throw me out of the home.do i have a legal recourse.or due i have to leave.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Houston texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I cant think of anything at this time.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Since the house was acquired during the marriage, it's community property. You're entitled to half the value of the property in the event of divorce. It makes no difference whose name is ***** ***** community property - you both own it.

Also, because it's the marital home, you have a right to be there. She cannot make you leave without a court order. If she decides to file for divorce, she will have the ability to file a motion asking the judge to allow her to use the home during the divorce. You'd be able to argue why you should be allowed to stay, and even why she should leave instead. But in that scenario, the judge would typically give the leaving spouse time to move out.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?