The plumber that was used when I had a bathroom remodeled…

Customer Question
The plumber that was...

The plumber that was used when I had a bathroom remodeled was called to fix a leak in the drain lines. The contractor and the plumber both agreed that the cast iron drain line should have been replaced so I told them I would like a quote on how much it would cost. The plumber came to the house and said that it would cost between $500 to $650 depending on problems or issues he ran into and cost of materials. He also indicated that he could not fix it till the end of the week. Early the next morning he called and said the weather had interrupted him working on the project he was suppose to do, and he could come to my house and do the repair work rather than wait till the end of the week. I told him ok and gave him the garage code to get in. I came home from work about 3 hours later to see how he was progressing and the work was completed in record time and he was gone but did not leave a bill or invoice. I called him and he said he would bring the bill to me on Saturday and pick up payment. I asked him to send the invoice to me now and please itemize it also. He sent the invoice to me over text message, charged me $665, and did not put his name or address on the invoice. I commented that the bill was much more than I had anticipated it to be and would need to send him the payment in two checks and still needed him to resend the invoice with his name and address. He put a name on it but still no address. I explained to him I needed his address to mail the payment. I was starting to feel uncomfortable with the situation. He finally said he was uncomfortable with me mailing money to him and did not want to be left unpaid. I replied to him that I had trusted him to enter my home without me being there and do repair work and charge me a fair price. He agreed and sent me the address. Today I called him and asked if we could discuss and the charges - I agreed to pay his materials cost, the dumping fee, and the labor charges but asked if he would reduce the truck, tools, and fuel fee he was charging - which was over $120. This plumber only traveled 30 minutes (approx. 40 miles) and fuel is approx. $2.25 this week. No special tools or truck were required to do the work. He refuses to reduce the charge and says he will hire a lawyer and sue me since I am refusing to pay him. Each time he says I am refusing to pay him I state that I am NOT refusing to pay him, but I am asking him to consider reducing the price to the lower end of the range he verbally quoted to me. He refuses. Is there anything I can do, or is this just a lesson to be learned and now I must pay him what he asks. I have tried to look up his business but nothing is listed by his name, or his phone number or the address he gave me to indicate he is a legitimate plumber. Again, I called him because he was recommended by the contractor that was hired by LOWES to do my bathroom remodel. hope you can tell me something other than "Chalk It Up To A Lesson Learned"

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee - the plumber is from Resaca, GA

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Tried to reason with him by phone - that was useless. I talked with someone at LOWES and they were going to call the contractor to see if he could help, but they did not call me back yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The bathroom remodel was completed in May last year - LOWES give a 1 year warranty on the work.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
What outcome do you seek? I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!if you get an automatic phone call request, you can accept it and a phone based law expert will handle. if you prefer to proceed by chat with me, just reply to the chat. some customers choose both, but the choice is yours! Thanksmartindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I asked him to reduce the bill by $100. That seemed fair, since it was more than the low end and lower than the high end of the verbal estimate he gave me - I have the invoice in front of me now: Actual Charges were $238 for materials, Labor was $290, Dump Fee was $22, and Tools, Truck, and Fuel fee was $115.
Your offer is reasonable!
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I don't mind typing, and can't really afford an additional $59 on top of the $47 I have paid - He threatened to come remove the drain lines he put in, and said it would cost me twice as much to have them put back in. I was tempted to accept his offer but was afraid he might sue me for both the installation and the removal if I did. I tried to look up his business using his name and the address he eventually gave me but I can not find anything matching this up. I feel very foolish and vulnerable. Could you verify he is a legitimate plumber, and send him a letter with the money or that offers him the money if he agrees to not continue to pursue this? Am I being unrealistic?
Of course, maybe there is no license or legal requirements to be a plumber.... and no basis of what is allowed to be charged to the client.
are you still online
Is InfoLawyer still online or logged off? You have not responded in over 12 minutes now....
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Apologies. He cannot come and remove anything. He risks you take action and should settle. You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
good to know he can’t take anything out - since I had to ask three times for his address. And originally had to ask him to put his name on the Invoice- can you write the letter or should I ask a local lawyer to write the letter?
Local counsel would do so. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
if you get an automatic phone call request, you can accept it and a phone based law expert will handle. if you prefer to proceed by chat with me, just reply to the chat. some customers choose both, but the choice is yours! Thanks