Last week I purchased a new car and paid for it with a

Customer Question
Hi. Last week I...

Hi. Last week I purchased a new car and paid for it with a personal check for about $40,000. The dealer ran a credit check telling me it would not be a "hard check". It turns out it was. I filed a dispute with Equifax. Does the dealer have a "permissible purpose"?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

NC, last week

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I opened a dispute with Equifax and wrote a letter Acura Customer Relations

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

"Car dealers only need permissible purpose to check your credit. An example of permissible purpose is reviewing your credit to confirm your identity before accepting a personal check. However, the dealer needs your permission before running your credit report. You'll need to provide your Social Security number before a dealership can run a credit check. The salesman will typically have you sign a credit application, which asks you for your personal identification information and your signature consenting to the credit check." https://www.sapling.com/7869787/do-car-dealers-check-credit Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.