Would it be preferable to have the fake traffic charge over…

Would it be preferable to...
Would it be preferable to have the fake traffic charge over the "removal of a shopping cart"? Does a traffic charge only stay on your record for a short time or forever?
Does the "removal of a shopping cart "charge stay on your record for a lifetime or just for a short while?thanks
3/23/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

So if it was a traffic charge, it will appear just as that, a traffic charge. Those are minor and hardly of consequence. People get traffic charges all the time and the question that need be asked is what harm will come of it. Most job applications (more on this in a moment) will ask something like, "other than traffic charges, have you been arrested/charged/convicted or plead in some manner to any charge?" So if this is a minor traffic charge, it wouldn't have to be listed. The exception to this would be if there was a job that required driving, then you may.

Now, the shopping cart charge, and this is my confusion on why you would want it added back, (but this is entirely your decision of course), that is a more traditional charge that, on a traditional job application as above, would have to be entered. I'm sure it could explained away, but if it is not there, then no explaining to do. if they have dismissed it, there is a process known as "expungement" that the local clerk of court could explain as to the procedure, that would allow it to be cleared from the record as if it never even happened and an employment question could be answered with a
"no." If you get it back, then it would likely stay.

Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer