I looking for a pet attorney.. I just bought a puppy great…

Customer Question
I looking for a...

I looking for a pet attorney.. I just bought a puppy great dane. pick the puppy up on 02/28/2018 the puppy got sick. I took the puppy to vet. they said the puppy had pravo. during the month of March I took the puppy to the vet at least 5 times. It cost me at least 800.00 and max out my saving account. No help from the breeders. they didn't answer my text on several occasions, no answer to the phone calls. I was so busy trying to get the puppy well I forgot to register the puppy with the akc. The puppy is on 3 medications. and 24/7 care. Now they block my getting on the akc. I paid the breeder 200.00 deposit. and 800.00 in cash. wrote to post dated checks for 100.00 a peice.to be cash during the month of March, I know that I should have handle this better and taken the puppy back but i was afraid the puppy would die. I chose to go to the vet instead. The breeder live far from me. the breeder denied everything like they have been breeding from for many years and never had a sick puppy. I sent the breeder a copy of the puppy medical chart and a copy of all the bills. I didn't expect to gain any payback.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The only steps i have taken is steps to and fro the veternairan.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes at some time during the early part of the month they did tell me to bring the puppy back but I didn't trust them because i aske them if they would give .

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. This is a heartbreaking story and I am so sorry you are in this situation. Just keep reminding you that thank goodness you have the puppy and took care of it. If you had a written contract with the breeder that may provide you some recourse against the breeder, depending on the language of the contract. Though the likely resolution in many such contracts would be to return the puppy to the breeder. So, one non-legal thing you have to figure out is if you are willing to give the puppy back to the breeder or if you want to continue to ensure the puppy is well taken care of. There are regulations in California that are essentially puppy lemon laws. Generally, and I would need to know if this person who sold you the dog is actually a registered breeder, just an individual or a retail seller (pet shop, which it does not appear is the case), you can return the puppy, trade the puppy for another of the same litter, or seek reimbursement for the vet bills. You need a veterinarian's statement that the puppy had pre-existing health issues. If you are not getting any response from the breeder, and you want to keep the puppy, which would be wonderful for that poor pup as you clearly have the puppy's best interest at heart, you could consider sending a letter to the breeder, including all vet bills to date, and letting the breeder know that you expect reimbursement or you may be forced to take the issue to various regulatory agencies. You could also ask for a refund of the puppy's purchase price, but that solution likely requires return of the puppy. It depends on how adversarial you want to be at this point. If you do not hear back or get a denial, you could consider speaking with a local attorney about legal action.

Again, I am so sorry about this situation. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.