I lost my Social Security card when my wallet was stolen.How…

I lost my Social...

I lost my Social Security card when my wallet was stolen.How can I get another card and protect my identity with IRS when I file next year?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

This is my first step.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. I am 71 YOA and am retired. I have filed this year's IRS state and local taxes. I am worried about next year.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

If nothing seems amiss, first, be aware that it is likely nothing will happen. However, it is better to proceed on the side of caution

If someone has misused your Social Security number or other personal information to create credit or other problems for you, Social Security cannot resolve these problems, but there are several things you should do.

1. You should go to www.idtheft.gov and report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission. Or, you can call 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-***-***-****); TTY 1-***-***-****. That website is a onestop national resource to learn about the crime of identity theft. It provides detailed information to help you deter, detect and defend against identity theft.

2. You also may want to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). An identity thief also might use your Social Security number to file a tax return to receive your refund. If you are eligible for a refund, a thief could file a tax return before you do and get your refund. Then, when you do file, the IRS will think you already received your refund. If

your Social Security number is ***** another individual may use it to get a job. That person’s employer would report income earned to the IRS using your Social Security number.

3. Contact a credit reporting agency online (equifax, transunion, etc.). You only need to contact one. Have a fraud alert put on your file. It will be reported to all credit reporting agencies. With that fraud alert in place (there is no charge) no one will be able to borrow money or open a credit account with your social security number without you being contacted personally and confirming the request.

You may also want to order a credit report to confirm no accounts have been opened which were not opened by you.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney