Second opinion] If you win the lottery and decide to take…

Second opinion] If you win...
Second opinion] If you win the lottery and decide to take the annuity, are you guaranteed that money on the specific date for the next 30 years. if the stock market or bonds crashes, something goes wrong with the united states and their funding, My question is, can the above and or what else can affect me losing or delaying me getting my payments.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

I'm sorry; I kept getting cut off- one moment please.

Thank you;

The lottery commission invests the winnings in the US Treasury securities, which mature each year, over the specified time frame. They are backed by the full faith and credit of the US Government and many consider these one of the safest investment opportunities available. They are not insured in the normal sense, since insurance companies are the only companies permitted to sell annuities to the general public and the amount of the lottery winnings preclude this since they only insure the first $250k-500K of an annuity.

So in theory if the US Government fell, there can be no backing.

An interesting article here on past winner's choices:

http://time.com/money/4172759/powerball-lottery-annuity-or-lump-sum/

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer