I buy a used car from my friend, and he just disappear. I'm…

I buy a used...

I buy a used car from my friend, and he just disappear

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in illinois, and he lived in Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have going to police department, they said they can't do anything for me, i go to the secretary of state illinois, they said they will try, not sure they can make the case becasue it's out of state, i called legal aid in ohio, because the auction was in ohio, they said they need dealership number, but i don't have it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have the chat history and transfer history, and i'm not sure my friend have legal identity and dealership. The car was in someone else title right now, i don't even see the car.

3/22/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I don't have his dealership Number(Maybe he don't have a dealership Number). I only have Chat history, and wire transfer history, it's $26000. Where should i ask for help. He was in different state than me.
Phone call session started

Calling now...

Thanks for your patience. So, we covered a lot. This appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach.

If you click here, you can find some helpful tips on how to find another person who doesn't want to be found before filing a lawsuit.

Filing a lawsuit is relatively simple, but there are some specific steps you must follow. The first thing to know is what the civil court is in your specific county. Usually, a Google search will turn that up. Generally, you will want to begin with drafting up your complaint on 28-line pleading paper. You can usually get 28-line pleading paper as a Microsoft Word template or just looking online for a free copy of one. I usually recommend that you begin with a brief introduction and then start a new heading with a new paragraph where you lay out the facts. Once you are done laying out the facts, create a new heading that provides your legal analysis. For example, you could say that a breach of contract occurs when someone fails to fulfill their obligation in an agreement. It doesn't have to be very long, but something that explains what your legal authority is to bring the case. Afterward, you will want to have your “Prayer for Relief” as a separate heading and then you put in what you want (e.g. amount of money you want). Make three copies of this.

Once you do that, you should either look online or go to the courthouse to find out if there are any specific forms you must fill out. Many county courthouses require specific forms depending on the cause of action that you have and they’ll reject it if you don’t have the right forms. If you can get three copies in advance of going to the courthouse, do so and attach them to your complaint.

Once you fill out the forms and you have your complaint, you should go to the courthouse and file them. Most lawsuits require a filing fee. The court will stamp that the docs have been received. The court will keep one copy of the received document and the court will give you back the others (one for you to keep and one for you to serve).

When you get those documents, you should go to www.thumbtack.com and find a process server. A process server is a person who will serve a copy of the lawsuit on the other party. Service is required when you are suing someone for almost all papers you file with the court. A process server must be at least 18 years old and not involved in the case in any way. If you have a friend or family member who can do it, they can serve it for you, too. Otherwise, most process servers charge something like 50-100 dollars. Once service is complete, the process server will typically have to file a “proof of service” form to swear to the court that they filed the documents.

Finally, there’s the discovery process where you can ask the other party for documents and even take statements from witnesses (these are called depositions). If you can’t reach agreement, then you go to trial.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
What's the other form that you said, can send email to him. So he could be scared and pay my money back?

There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you so much~

You're welcome.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Also, like, because i buy a car, so this semester, i live out of campus which means i have to drive to school. But he didn't give me the money, so i have to take uber to school. Can i write those amount into the "Prayer for Relief"?

Absolutely.

Save your receipts if you have them.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
i have.

Good news. Save those somewhere safe on your computer or phone.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer