My wife and I bought some property ,it was in her name.She…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I bought some property ,it was in her name.She has since passed,now I'm selling said property,do I have to change it into my name and what do I have to do to get it changed into my name? Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Lake Medina shores

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The buyer drew up a contract,i would like someone to look it over before I sign

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/22/2018
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Did you and your wife have children? Or did she have children before you two were married? Did she have a will? Is this the only piece of property or bank account with her name only on it?

My wife had children before we married , we had no children,she had no will.yes only thing with her name only

You may have to open an estate proceeding to transfer the property. Her kids could be entitled to some property. If you and your wife bought the property during your marriage, part of her share could go to her kids.

For community property, which is any property acquired after marriage, all real property goes to the spouse. However, if the deceased had children with a different parent other than the current spouse, then one-half the real community property goes to those children.

Unfortunately, the children could possibly claim an interest.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards

How do I start proceedings?

Hold, please. Let me see if I can get the link to the county website. What county is this?

Hold, please. Let me see if I can get the website link for you that has all that information. What county is this?

Kendall county
The property is in Banders county

Here is a link to the forms but it will be confusing to you:

http://www.cclerk.hctx.net/Probate/Downloadable_Forms.aspx

It may be best to go to the courthouse to get the forms in person. That way the clerk can help you.

If she died in Kendall, that is the court where you would file the papers.

What did this just cost me?

You can check with customer service about costs. I answer the questions. I get credit when you rate my answer between 3 and 5 stars for all the effort I put into it. Customer service would know the cost to you. There is no additional cost to provide a rating for all the work I did on your questions.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Otherwise, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Do you further need services? If so, let me know.

If not, Please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.