My girlfriend who is a foreign national (Croatia) was

My girlfriend who is...

My girlfriend who is a foreign national (Croatia) was detained at Logan airport in Boston Tuesday night for violating the terms of her tourist visa. She has agreed to leave voluntarily, but is still being held and I have not been able to speak to her. Need to know if there is anything i can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your girlfriend taken? Has she filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

She’s been in holding so I doubt it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your girlfriend talked to a lawyer about the visa?

I don’t think she has been able to speak with anyone at all

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t believe so

3/22/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Are you asking if there is something you can do to stop the voluntary removal?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. She has been in holding and I cannot talk to her. I’m asking how long can they hold her? Shouldn’t she be able to be on the next available flight out of the country if she’s leaving voluntarily?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From what I’ve read thus far, seems as if CBP officers have very broad power
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just want to get her out of the holding facility.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job.

Keep in mind that my job is to provide you with information, whether the outcome is what you had hoped for or not. Only telling you what you to hear is not the purpose of this site and it doesn't do you any good. So if you are upset about the outcome but the quality of my customer service is good, please do not give me a negative rating. I am only a messenger. If you need more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you.

ANSWER: I'm so sorry you are both experiencing this at the moment. Just keep in midn that it is temporary and it will come to a conclusion relatively soon.

As far as the next available flight, that does not necessarily mean the very next flight out. They need to process her, update her records, and make sure that everything is in order before they put her on the flight back. And then it is the first available flight.

Unfortunately, it is true that they have broad authority. And unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to get her out of the facility. She just has to wait out the process until she is returned to her home country.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I figured there wouldn’t be very much I could do. Thanks for your response.

No problem at all. I'm really sorry about that. I wish I had a way to help her. So that I get credit for doing my job, kindly remember to rate my customer service to you (not the outcome, which I do not control). That is how I get credit for working with you today.

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One more question if you are still able to respond. What would the next step be? Going to the US Embassy in Croatia to see what her options are for returning to the US?

It depends on the violation that led to this outcome. We can discuss that in another thread (I am required to ask customers to post new questions in new threads).

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer