When a lease car is turned in earlier than the lease ends,

When a lease car...

When a lease car is turned in earlier than the lease ends, are the payments still made if the dealer advises that no more payments should be made and takes the car back and sells it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet but the finance company is looking for a payment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The lease was in my husband's name and he passed away recently and I sent them a copy of the death certificate.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. If the car was surrendered and taken back, payments may not have to be made. However, what is likely to happen is that this will be sold and once it is, they will make a demand for any deficiency that is owed, that the sale may not cover. Even though you may have sent them a copy of the death certificate, you need to read the lease agreement/finance agreement and see if his passing would terminate the obligation to pay or if remains and they can go after his estate, for any money owed.

I was doing this for my friends wife who is still greving so I will have to get with her to check the wording on the lease paperwork. Thanks for now.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Your reply was fine however the $5 charge that required my credit card number ended up with my account being compromized and my card having unauthorthorized charges on it causing my card to be cancelled and leaving me very unhappy. I will never use this service again. FYI
I am very sorry to hear that and customer service can assist. I am a user like you but they can assist if there are issues or concerns.