Is video surveillance of a common workplace lunch area

Is video surveillance of...

Is video surveillance of a common workplace lunch area shared between two companies legal in PA? Surveillance is only recorded, known and displayed to one of the two companies. The other company employees were unaware until recently.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have the employees discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No. Just curious.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will

3/22/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Go ahead.

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. The law in PA doesn't specifically prohibit an employer from setting up video surveillance in their workplace (e.g. a grocery store is an example of a company that may) but there are limits if the intrusion is unreasonable.

This appears to me to be the tort of intrusion upon seclusion. What is required for an intrusion upon seclusion claim is that the plaintiff must show:

1.That the plaintiff had a reasonable expectation of privacy (for example, bathrooms, locker rooms, etc.)

2. That the defendant intentionally intruded in that place;

3. The defendant’s intrusion would be highly offensive to a reasonable person;

4. That the plaintiff was harmed;

5. If the plaintiff is asserting more than one privacy right, give an introductory

In your case, if people would have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the lunch area, then you and the other employees would have a cause of action to at least ask a small claims court judge to have them take down the cameras.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising about the merits of the claim. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's it. Thanks for your help.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer