Is Premium Techie Support Service legitimate or a scam?

Is Premium Techie Support...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Billing seems to be London. Service from India.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I signed up for it, but relatives have said it is a scam.

3/22/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Since scammers frequently use the names of legitimate companies, you have to look at what they do, every bit as much as what they call themselves. But if they are billing from the UK, providing service from India, and reaching out to the US, that's a red flag. Professional scammers do not prey on people in their own country.

There is a company in Watford, England called Premium TEchie Support Service registered with Companies House, the UK government agency that keeps the annual tax records for all UK businesses. But the company is very new -- only 5 months old. Scammers will register a bogus business to look legitimate and then fail to pay their fees and file their taxes. At that point, they'd be stricken from the government's register. So while it's a good sign that this company is registered in the UK, it hasn't been around long enough for this to be meaningful.

So here's what the computer tech scam sounds like. And if you recognize it, then your family members are right and you should NOT deal with this company:

The scam begins one of two ways. You receive unsolicited contact from a computer tech company via a phone call. He tells you that your computer has been hacked and he claims to be working with Microsoft, Apple or some other nationally-know IT company. Or, you see a pop-up on your computer screen warning you of malware in your computer and telling you to contact Microsoft or Apple or Macafee or what have you at a number that isn't theirs at all, as it turns out. They just use the name to get you to trust them so that you will grant them remote access to your computer.

If you google "computer tech scam" you'll see lots of fraud reports on tech companies who do this sort of thing. And the Federal Trade Commission has been working hard to find and stop these tech scammers.

What these computer tech fraudsters do is take a perfectly healthy computer and charge you a hefty fee to install software that actually creates new problems for you. The scam is all about getting you to give them more and more money for problems that they are creating with their remote access.

Or, it could be even worse than that:

if you also let them into your computer, they also can hack your computer and commit identity theft. They can plant malware that logs your keystrokes and gets your passwords and they can break into your financial accounts.

I know this may sound familiar to you. Therefore, if you installed their software or gave them remote access, then your computer's security is at risk and so are all of your accounts in your computer. If that's your situation, you need to take precautions against identity theft by having a verified professional tech -- someone you actually know in the community, such as a tech person in your local computer shop -- debug it. Then you need to change all of your pin numbers and passwords.

Do this immediately and your computer and accounts should be secure.

If you paid them by credit card, call your card carrier and then dispute the charge. Then cancel the card and open up a new one.

If you have not used them or given them remote access DON'T. Stick to a company that has been around and has a known reputation for quality service in the industry. And don't contract with anyone who contacts you out of the blue and claims your computer is infected. It's not. BUt it will be if you let the caller into it.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney