I haired a contractor to do some work did not complete the…

Customer Question
Hi I haired a...

Hi I haired a contractor to do some work did not complete the job after three weeks I figured the job had been abandon. I got my son in law to finish the project. I paid half up front and now they are demanding more money. They have threatened small clams court. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Text between the two parties and written journal

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They were constantly late and got the wrong molding

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/22/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a breach of contract based on the failure to perform within a reasonable time on the grounds that they left the job after three weeks. Courts regularly look toward the Uniform Commercial Code as their guide, since many states have adopted this code into their own statutes. Under UCC Section 2-309(1), the law says that each party has a reasonable time to perform if it is not expressly stated in the contract. What is considered “reasonable” is a matter of fact and depends on the circumstances, but it is an argument that you would have to make that it is unreasonable. Regardless, there is a legal basis for your particular claim. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Because they walked off the job, you do not owe them any money and in fact you could sue them for the additional costs to you for having to finish the job.

This website is also pretty cool because all you need to do is click, purchase, and download. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today?