My dad asked me if there was a way to put his cash assets…

Customer Question
Hi there - My...

Hi there - My dad asked me if there was a way to put his cash assets into a trust or anything like that which would prevent a nursing home from taking all of his money if he ever had to be in that type of environment

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

He is in Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Im not sure i understand your question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, He wanted me to ask to see what his options are if he has any?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/22/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Yes, if placed all his assets into an irrevocable trust at least 5 years before he applied for Medicaid for long term care benefits, then he could entirely shield them from having to be spent down on his care..

.

But he has to get them out of his name at least 5 years and a day in order to protect them..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much