I own 1/4 of a Corporation. My three brothers also each own…

I own 1/4 of...

I own 1/4 of a Corporation. My three brothers also each own 1/4 of the Corporation. I have a disease and my wife is ill. One of the brothers tell everyone about my disease as well as my wife’s illness. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

This is the first step

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They. All own equal shares, they make $6000 a week, he makes $3000 a week. They all have company credit cards, fuel cards, etc. I don’t. FYI my 1/4 was inherited

3/22/2018
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, it's legal. It's not ethical or moral, I agree, but there's no law that absolutely protects this information or makes it confidential. Now if your brother was your employer, and you had disclosed this information pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), then it would be protected. Or if your brother was your health care provider (such as a doctor) then he'd be bound by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). But assuming those narrow exceptions are not present, then there's nothing illegal that was done here.

Again, I agree that it's unethical and immoral, but it's not illegal.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

They can tell our employees and customers things like that?

Yes. Again, it's not protected information under any statute or regulation. Now maybe there's a privacy agreement or policy that they have agreed to that they contractually agree not to disclose this information, but that's pretty rare. And if they had under that situation, your only recourse would be to sue. Even then it's not illegal (because it doesn't violate any law) but rather your recourse would be in civil court.

Again, I agree that it's immoral and unethical, but not illegal.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney