What are the steps to amend a complaint that has been served…

What are the steps to...
What are the steps to amend a complaint that has been served but the defendant didn’t respond?If you amended a complaint but couldn’t serve the amended one (the original one is served), then which version would the trial be carried on? In the case there is no default entered, the judge will just make a decision based on your complaint and evidence?If the old complaint has certain damages listed in the fact section but there is no corresponding cause of actions, can you seek damage on these facts? If not and it is better to amend the complaint, it will also increase the risk that the defendant might respond to the new complaint and a default can’t be entered. So overall which is better option among these two:
1. Amend the complaint and the risk is the defendant may now respond
2. Use the old complaint and enter a default. The problem is some facts/damages have no corresponding cause of actions.
3/22/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
You should serve amended. Court will normally use amended if you served it. If not served court will use original. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you double verify and let me know this?:
So overall which is better option among these two:
2. Use the old complaint and enter a default. The problem is some facts/damages have no corresponding cause of actions.In the case there is no default entered and no defendant present, the judge will just make a decision based on your complaint and evidence?
If defendant defaulted I would not amend but get the default!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The problem is the original version has no cause of actions for some of the damages. Would it be a problem when it comes to ask for money?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please answer all the questions I listed. Thanks,
If you want recovery for unpled claims then you should amend first.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Earlier you told me to amend. Please read it carefully as th
I would normally not amend but if you have new claims with different added damages- not duplicative - then you amend.
I hope that distinction is clearer. Let me know. If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
overall which is better option among these two based on the trade offs:
2. Use the old complaint and enter a default. The problem is some facts/damages have no corresponding cause of actions.And if there is no cause of actions, even you listed the facts, you can’t be compensated?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also what are the steps for amendament?:
File first with court and then serve? What documents to file: just the new complaint, or include the summons, cover sheet and etc.?
You would file a motion to amend with a copy of the new proposed complaint - which is recommended since you want court to consider new claims.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But now the defendant might respond. And you still think it is better to amend?Just the new complaint, no summons etc? Should you bring one copy or three copies to court?
because you want court to consider new claims. If you were ok with claims in original I would not amend and just get the default. Bring 3 copies. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In another words anything in the summon won’t get judgement if it has no cause of actions? Note the old complaint has the claims in the fact section but just has no corresponding cause of actions.So just bring new complaint, no summons or cover sheet etc?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to all the questions correct?
Exactly! Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will follow up if there is more questions.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hello amended complaint can be sub served after three attempts correct?

correct

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks,
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Hi I have a followup question. If someone he lives with (his parents actually) says he no longer lives there (might be a lie), but since he lived there recently and was served there for the original complaint, then it can still be subserved correct? Also if the server didn’t leave the paper with the parents, can they simply go back and drop the paper at the door?
it’s a last known address. An amended pleading can be mailed to the address.
Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
But can the server simply go back and drop the paper at the door? Thanks,
Often can just be mailed through postal service since already served.
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
But say if the server just asked his parents if he is there but didn’t say it is a court paper, can the server still go back and drop the paper or the server has to talk to the parents again?For some reason the server can’t mail it.
Would ask again if there. Can still leave with parent as suitable age person and last known address.
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Ok just want to clarify, so even if the server didn’t say it is a court paper, they can still go back and just drop the paper (if no one answers the door)?
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Thanks. I just created a new question for you. Please check.
Excellent. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Hi I really want to double check, how come it is ok to leave the paper outside if the server talked to someone he lives with but didn’t mention it is court paper?Also can you really serve alone by simply leaving the paper at their mailbox?
Because served correctly first time so amended need only be delivered to same address.Please click the 5 star (*****) rating - it’s the only way I receive credit by the site. Leaving a Leaving a bonus after rating is sincerely appreciated!
Customer reply replied 7 days ago
you are saying leaving at the mailbox is ok?Are you interested in answering the new question I opened?
Exactly. Kindly rate me for this one. I will look for the other one.
Customer reply replied 7 days ago
But how to report proof of service? On form pos-040 they’d check box 6.d for messenger service? I rated before and can’t rate again.

On an amended you normally dont report. If court directs, an affidavit of service.

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
He hasn’t answered to the original as well. So I don’t use pos-040 to proof service of amendment? The amendment is important to have a proof of service to my point of view because the original has no statement of damages.

If the clerk requests it, then provide it but it should not be needed.

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Ok cool thanks!
Customer reply replied 7 days ago
But it wouldn’t hurt for me to submit the pos-040?Ps here is the new question:
https://my-secure.justanswer.com/question/index/209d5389617c490ba5512817fd008179?continueTheConversation=False&comingFromAdservEmail=False&ratedThroughEmail=False&rating=0&paymentType=Unknown

It would not.

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Ok can you confirm it would be messenger service if they left it at the mailbox?

that's fine, and I responded to your other thread.

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Ok I will look into it some time later today.

ok

Customer reply replied 5 days ago
In proof of service, it asks who was served. It should still be the defendant’s name except served through messenger service, correct?
Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Served defendant name through messenger service.
Please open a new thread for your questions, thanks.
Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Hi is this a simple answer of yes and no?
Defendant is the one served.
Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Thank you!
You’re welcome.
Customer reply replied 1 day ago
Hi I have a quick followup question, if they talked to someone who lives with the defendant and mentioned it is a court paper but didn't leave the paper with that person, later they dropped the paper at the residence. Is it considered sub serve or it is just a messenger service?Ps JA doesn't like similar questions to be opened. So I could point completely different new questions to you. But maybe not create new spin off similar questions from this thread.
I would refer to it as service and not use those titles.
Customer reply replied 23 hours ago
Sorry you mean it is a sub serve (they told the person it is a court paper but didn’t give the paper to the person. They dropped the paper later)?
Customer reply replied 23 hours ago
On CIV-50 form it is either sub serve or Other(in which case you explain what you have done).
Sub serve.
Customer reply replied 23 hours ago
Thanks!
Very welcome. Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
INFOLAWYER, Attorney