I had my license revoked in my because of a DWI if I move to…

I had my license...

I had my license revoked in my because of a DWI if I move to Tennessee can I get a Tennessee license

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TN lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Non

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I’m thinking of moving there

3/22/2018
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or what state can I get a license

Good morning,

Unfortunately, no. While Tennessee is not part of the Interstate Driver License Compact, all states now belong to the National Drivers Registry, which prohibits any state from issuing a licnese to a person who is suspended or revoked in any other state. In other words, they'll see that your license is revoked in another state, and will decline to issue you a new one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay.

I'm sorry I cannot tell you otherwise. But if this was possible, then you would have lots of people whose licenses had been suspended or revoked simply moving to another state, which would defeat the purpose of the restriction being imposed.

Please let me know if I may clarify anything or provide you with additional information. If not, please remember to leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page so that I may be credited by the website. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a felony DWI in Ny right now I’m in court . How much
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the information.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by how much? Are you asking what the potential penalties are? Are you asking what an attorney would charge?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The potential penalties.

If you are convicted of a Class E felony, you can face the potential possible punishment:

1. A fine of between $1,000 and $5,000, up to 4 years in state prison, or both;
  2. A period of probation of 5 years;
  3. Revocation of your driver’s license for at least 1 year. In addition, DMV will require evidence of alcohol evaluation and/or rehabilitation before it will ever relicense you;
  4. Note that while DMV will revoke your license for at least 1 year, the Court can also, as a condition of probation, prohibit you from driving while you are on probation. If that is the case, DMV will not relicense you until you submit proof that this condition of probation has been removed;
  5. Discretionary revocation of your registration for at least 1 year;
  6. A surcharge of $520;
  7. A driver responsibility assessment of $250 a year for 3 years;
  8. A requirement that you attend a Victim Impact Panel; and a requirement that you install and maintain a functioning ignition interlock device in any motor vehicle that you own or operate during the term of probation or conditional discharge, and in no event for less than 6 months.

If your predicate conviction was within the past 5 years, you are subject to the following additional mandatory penalties:

1. 5 days in jail or 30 days of community service;
  2. You must install an ignition interlock device in each motor vehicle you own or operatee; during the license revocation period and upon the termination of such revocation period, for an additional period as determined by the Court; and you must receive an alcohol or substance abuse assessment, which may result in the imposition of treatment as a condition of a sentence of probation or conditional discharge.

If the new charge is more than 5 years from your prior conviction, you may be eligible for a conditional license. However, even if you are eligible to drive, the Court may prohibit you from doing so as a condition of probation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thank you

You're very welcome. Please remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave a positive rating for me. Thank you once again.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
RobertJDFL, Attorney