I am in. My daughter was called to the office at her school,

Customer Question
I am in Virginia...

I am in Virginia. My daughter was called to the office at her school, her bag searched and she was questioned with three people present. The Principal, school administrator?, and resource officer. I was not present. I was told that multiple concerns were raised the she had been involve with marijuana and cocaine. The had no evidence of this other than hearsay. She was under duress and did admit to trying marijuana back in November. This occurred on Tuesday, March 20, 2018. Two days ago. She has been completely stresses, as have I.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a VA lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is a freshman, 14 years old. Not sure what else to add.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Unfortunately school officials (and even police officers) are allowed to question minors without their parents present.

If an arrest is going to be made, only then does the law require parents to be notified.

If however you feel that these questions were unsubstantiated and that your daughter may have been the victim of some type of discrimination, then you may have grounds for a civil lawsuit, especially considering the emotional distress this has caused you both.

If that's something you might be interested in pursuing, then you should contact a civil lawyer in your area to discuss all of the detailed facts and merits of your case.

You can contact the Virginia State Bar for a referral to a civil lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

800(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones