Can I carry gold and silver coins worth about $10,000 on a…

Customer Question
Can I carry gold...

Can I carry gold and silver coins worth about $10,000 on a plane?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Alabama going to Chicago

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/22/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes, you can transport your gold and silver coins from one state to another.

You just want to be sure to carry proper ownership documents to avoid confiscation by any airport authorities.

They do have the authority to confiscate gold/ silver/ cash if they believe it is part of some criminal activity.

The way to avoid this situation is to carry the proper documentation showing your ownership of the coins.

For example, purchase paperwork, inheritance paperwork, etc.

There aren't any additional fees required for carrying your gold and silver coins with you.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!