I was in my own home I was under the influence of heroin but…

Customer Question
I was in my...

I was in my own home I was under the influence of heroin but not overdosed my son-in-law called the police I did not threaten suicide or to harm anyone at all I have been with my wife 28 years with NEVER any violence. I have only done heroin twice in my life I became addicted to pain killers after a work injury that caused multiple shoulder surgeries. the police came did not arrest me they say but handcuffed me and took me to the emergency room that I told them over and over I did not want to go once there I was kept 4 days I admit to being rude the first night but was very polite and got along with the nurses the rest of the time. I feel I was both kidnapped and held without legal cause I was a EMT for many years and had been taught that what was done was not Legal I was coherent enough to refuse to take care of myself.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Hampshire

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

This is the first besides I spoke to a pain management DR in VT and he told me my rights were totally violated as I was taught in NH EMT class

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Mostly just felt shame in my neighborhood I own my own home but all the people on my street no each other. I am sure there is much more but right of hand that's what I can think of.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/22/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Based on the information you've shared, it appears that the health care professionals may have believed that you were either a threat to your own safety or to someone else's safety at the time this incident occurred.

They could have made this conclusion based on a medical evaluation done at the ER in conjunction with statements that may have been made to the physician by your son-in-law and/or other family members.

By law, the physician can hold you in the hospital's care for up to 72 hours if they believe you are a threat of harm to yourself or others.

Any time beyond that 72 hours needs to be approved by a court order.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation, it sounds as though you did not intend to harm yourself, even though your family or the physician may have made a separate conclusion.

If you feel that your rights were violated in any way, or if you were held beyond that 72 hour hold without a court order, then you can consider speaking with a civil lawyer about the possibility of a lawsuit.

You can contact the New Hampshire State Bar for a referral to a civil lawyer in your area.

Civil attorneys often work on a contingency fee basis, which means you don't have to pay anything out of pocket, and they recover their fees when you win a monetary judgment.

The phone number is:

(603)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I just wanted to make sure you received this message I sent to you about an hour ago, it appeared as though it might not have gone through.

Copied and pasted below:

The phone number is:

(603)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones