My wife passed away last week. Going through her paper work…

My wife passed away...

My wife passed away last week. Going through her paper work I noticed two credit cards that I had no affiliation with, I'm I responsible for the balance on those cards?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None, still waiting on the death certificate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

3/22/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry for your loss.

No, if your name was not on the account for those credit cards you are not liable for repayment of the remaining debt.

The credit card company can however try to recover the debt from your wife's estate, if she has any accounts or assets that will be going through probate.

If that is the case, then you can potentially consider hiring an attorney to help defend against the credit card companies, or any other debt collectors that may try to recover money from her estate.

If that becomes an issue, you can contact the Georgia State Bar for a referral to a probate lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(404)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Thanks for the reply, so nothing is going through probate they have no case?
Phone call session started