Am I respondable for my husbands credit card debt when he…

Customer Question
Am I respondable for...

Am I respondable for my husbands credit card debt when he dies. I am not on the credit cards. He has terminal lung cancer

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Non he was told 2 wks ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is on a life estate for my house and property but it is in my name only

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 3 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning.

If sufficient assets are available in the estate after a debtor’s death, credit card debt will be paid off by the estate executor along with the decedent’s other debts. However, if there are not sufficient assets, then creditors are often out of luck – although many try to convince vulnerable family members that they owe the debt.

There are some instances when surviving family members may be liable for credit card debt of the decedent:

• If a surviving family member was a joint account holder;
  • If a surviving ex-spouse agreed to pay off a joint credit card as part of the divorce settlement;
  • In community property states, if a surviving spouse or child inherits community property, they may be liable for the debt;
  • If you continue to use a decedent’s credit card as an authorized user when you know the debt won’t be paid.

As such, unless you are on the cards or liable in some way, you should not be personally responsible for the debt.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!