I cannot find the title to my car and I want to buy a new…

I cannot find the...

I cannot find the title to my car and I want to buy a new car. Do I need the title when turning in the old car

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. I just want to go and buy a car

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I looked for the title and cannot find it. I have the purchase information from my previous employer who I bought the car from

3/22/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The sale of a vehicle is contingent upon the seller being able to provide a copy of the title and sign it over to the buyer. That's the act that officially transfers ownership. Unfortunately, yes, that means you will need the old title. It's possible that some dealers will give you time to present it, if you tell them that you're in the process of ordering a duplicate from the DMV.

The state of Florida will allow you to order a copy of a duplicate title now. Or you and the buyer can fill out the form together, where you request both a copy of the title and transfer of ownership at the same time. If you're ready to buy now (and planning to use a trade in), talk to the dealer to see if they'll be okay doing the duplicate/transfer. Private parties are more likely to want to see the title before agreeing to buy, but it depends on the person. Here is more information, and the form:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/title-faq/

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82101.pdf

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

thank you I will contact the dealer

You're welcome. Have a good day.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney