My dog has been deemed a dangerous dog because she bit

My dog has been...

My dog has been deemed a dangerous dog because she bit another dog, My town is making us euthanize her. We can appeal. Is it worth it to appeal? We do not want her to die but also do not have a lot of money.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We had a town meeting and were told we had to euthanize. This was the first time she has been before the town.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has had dog fights before but once she was leashed. No dog died and she has never bit a person.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Ultimately the decision is yours, but yes if you do have the option to appeal and you would like to contest the order to have your dog euthanized, then you can consider filing the appeal.

Have you checked into the option of a pro bono lawyer to help with this?

A pro bono lawyer would actually take your case for free, so that you have no out of pocket costs.

If this is something you'd like to look into, you can contact the Massachusetts State Bar and ask for a referral to a pro bono lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(866) MASS-LRS

The lawyer should be able to file the appeal on your behalf, and hopefully win this case for your family.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
I called the number you provided but they do not have any pro bono lawyers. Do you have another number I could try?

I'm sorry to hear that the State Bar was not able to locate a pro bono attorney in your area.

You could try the state's Legal Aid Services.

Here is the phone number:

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope they'll be able to help you, good luck!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones