A casual partner took some intimate pics of me (non nude and…

Customer Question
A casual partner took...

A casual partner took some intimate pics of me (non nude and possibly nude while I was sleeping) years back without my consent and is threatening to exploit them on Facebook to embarrass me. Is it illegal since it was without my knowledge or my consent?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No. This just happened minutes ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

New jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
3/22/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your criminal law question this evening. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with this matter. The act of this person by threatening to reveal a picture unless you hand over property or grant another favor is going to amount to illegal harassment , blackmail and extortion in New Jersey.

To address this criminal action you file a local police complaint.

Here is a section of the criminal law that deals with this issue:

"2C:20-5. Theft by extortion
A person is guilty of theft by extortion if he purposely and unlawfully obtains property of another by extortion. A person extorts if he purposely threatens to:

a. Inflict bodily injury on or physically confine or restrain anyone or commit any other criminal offense;

b. Accuse anyone of an offense or cause charges of an offense to be instituted against any person;

c. Expose or publicize any secret or any asserted fact, whether true or false, tending to subject any person to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or to impair his credit or business repute;

d. Take or withhold action as an official, or cause an official to take or withhold action;

e. Bring about or continue a strike, boycott or other collective action, if the property is not demanded or received for the benefit of the group in whose interest the actor purports to act;

f. Testify or provide information or withhold testimony or information with respect to another's legal claim or defense; or

g. Inflict any other harm which would not substantially benefit the actor but which is calculated to materially harm another person.

It is an affirmative defense to prosecution based on paragraphs b, c, d or f that the property obtained was honestly claimed as restitution or indemnification for harm done in the circumstances or as lawful compensation for property or services."

You could also possible have a civil privacy suit here for breach of privacy and invasion of privacy statutes.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return your positive rating is what gives me a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill