In state of Montana is a spouse responsible for deceased…

In state of Montana...

In state of Montana is a spouse responsible for deceased spouses credit card debt if they were not signed on with card

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a MT lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?

Credit card company or survivor

3/22/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Montana is not a community property state so if this was the sole debt of the deceased spouse and they were the only listed owner on the account, the creditor can only look to their estate for payment.

.

.

thanks

There was next to nothing in her estate. About 1200 dollars. What would estate be liable for
Of which was used on her medical

If the estate is insolvent and used the money to pay other bills, then the creditor just loses.. The spouse would just send a copy of the death certificate to the creditor along with a note stating the estate is insolvent and no probate case will be opened.

.

The creditor then will just write off the debt as a loss on their taxes.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
LAMAR BULLEN
Phone call session started
The written answers were helpful. I had requested a phone call. I have yet to receive a phone call yet days later

If you didn't ever get a phone call, then you shouldn't be charged for the fee... I will put in a refund request for you for the phone call charge..

.

.

thanks