I would like to open a case about violation of my human

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to open a case about violation of my human rights

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in the Bronx

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The police officer issued 3 pink summons, and judge acquited all charges after trial

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I vas arrested without any probable cause

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/22/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. How long ago was the acquittal/ Have you filed a notice of claim?

The trial was on February 28, 2018

Thanks. You need to find a lawyer right away. If you are going to look to sue the police for a false arrest, then you have to file a notice of claim, and there is only a small window of opportunity to do so. This puts the government on notice that a suit is going to be forthcoming, but if you don't do that withi the statutory time, you can be prevented from suing later.

This has to be filed within 90 days with the NYC Comptroller's office. After that, the regular statute of limitations would apply for the filing of the suit itself.

So if what you want to do is to sue, you need to get yourself a civil litigator who is experienced with police misconduct cases. If you're not sure where to go about finding one, you can call the Bronx Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service and they will refer you to one. They charge a fee of about $40 for the referral, and that includes a free half-hour consultation with the attorney.

http://www.bronxbar.com/?page=referral