I was assaulted by my sister on March 5, 2018. The police…

Customer Question
I was assaulted by...

I was assaulted by my sister on March 5, 2018. The police were called complaints filed but she has yet to be arrested. I just got a notice to appear at a peace bond hearing against me by my sister tomorrow. I don't have full police report because she has yet to be arrested. This would include photos of my injuries. She fled the scene. I've done nothing and threatened nothing against her. I don't have any money to put up as bond. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the assault charges?

No, I'm waiting to hear from detective. But he hasn't returned most recent call.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the assault occur?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't want to be issued a warrant for arrest for not appearing. But I don't have any money to put down on bond. She can't possibly have any legitimate evidence of me threatening her in any way. I currently only have my medical bills from the emergency room and the public record police that just states date, time, and nature of the call. The detective has all the evidence; photos, interview with me, 911 call

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Ok. I just got the hearing information and hearing is tomorrow. I will ‘try’ to be patient

Your sister has initiated civil rather than criminal proceedings against you to get herself a protective order against you. If you don't go to court, there typically will not be a warrant for your arrest. On the other hand, you will lose the hearing by default. That would grant her the bond and you would have to avoid further contact with her. You could bring the evidence you have to the hearing and testify as to the name of the detective and the evidence you turned over to him.

No it’s not a protective order it is a peace bond and in Texas they are different. The hearing notice states that my failure to appear will result in a warrant being issued for my arrest
I am going to D.A. Next week to apply for a protective order and I don’t have a problem not having any contact with her she assaulted me. I just don’t have money to put down as bond

Thank you. I'm going to opt out for a Texas lawyer so as not to misinform you.