My son was lured into a stong operation. He answered a ad…

Customer Question
Hi.... My son was...

Hi.... My son was lured into a stong operation. He answered a ad saying 18 year old female looking for a friend...... Unfortunately.... He fell for it.... This was back in September...... He was charged but not convicted....only time he has been in court was the next day to plead not guilty...... About 3-4 weeks ago it was dismissed...the city paper did write up an article when he was aressted.... Saying he was charged...... But they said no picture or confirmation of him in jail that night....... When he was told by his lawyer that they dismissed his case. The very next day in the paper again had a huge article that he plead guilty to knowing he was talking to a 15 year old and arranging to have sex...... Said he changed his plea from not guilty to guilty... Absolutely false..... Needless to say.... His reputation is shot.... His Lawyer called the paper and told them to retract that article... They never did..... A week or so past.... He called them again... They have not retracted it..... Our question is can we sue that paper for putting false information in an article!?! His laywer had been out for the last week so he hasn't contacted them again. My son signed his dismal papers about a week or so ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?

The case is dismissed

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 month ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Yes. This is a textbook example of defamation, arguably. To establish a defamation claim, a plaintiff must prove three elements: (1) the defamatory statement is "communicated to someone other than the plaintiff," (2) the statement is false, and (3) the statement "tend[s] to harm the plaintiff's reputation and to lower [the plaintiff] in the estimation of the community." Bahr v. Boise Cascade Corp., 766 NW 2d 910 - Minn: Supreme Court 2009.

Actual and punitive damages can be sought.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It also said he will b sentenced march 27th. Completely a lie
Thank you for your reply. That only increases the extent of the defamation.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi so from what I understand his caze is pretty solid...what kind of lawyer would be seek out to defend him and r there lawyers that Well take a case this one on a pro bono payment? And if any to court percentage it would go to trial vs settle out of court? I read ur first response and it sounds like this case follows the guidelines for a successful out come. I know ur advice is not sealed but would like ur opinion. Should be go thru with this. His name and reputation is ruined...

Hi so from what I understand his caze is pretty solid...

Based on the facts you presented, yes.

what kind of lawyer would be seek out to defend him and r there lawyers that Well take a case this one on a pro bono payment?

Many attorneys can take a case like this on a contingency, meaning they do not get paid unless he does, but it is all negotiable.

And if any to court percentage it would go to trial vs settle out of court?

Right - 33.33% before trial, 40% at trial, and 45% at appeal is standard.

I read ur first response and it sounds like this case follows the guidelines for a successful out come.

I believe so.

I know ur advice is not sealed but would like ur opinion. Should be go thru with this. His name and reputation is ruined...

I would.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law