I have a quick question regarding community property i'm…

I have a quick...

I have a quick question regarding community property i'm trying to get answered on your website?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just researching my options

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No have not started any processes yet

3/21/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Sure - what can I answer for you, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been married to my wife from Brazil for almost two years. She has been my dependent here during this time as my wife and has not worked at all as we were still in the middle of her immigration process. She wants to head back to Brazil as she finds life too difficult here and misses her family. Uncontested divorce and we agree on how to separate everything. Only problem I am having determining how to approach is community property.I purchased a home for both of us a couple of months after getting married with my own 401k that I have been saving for 10 years prior. The house was indeed purchased after our marriage and I have been making all the payments and everything that's been required to purchase the house. She doesn't care about the house and just wants to leave.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do you report this on the original petition for divorce?

Okay.

1) On the original petition, one can simply say: "Parties have community property which Petitioner expects to be amicably divided." That's it.

2) On the decree (which she should sign off on), one can say that the home goes to the Petitioner (i.e. you).

There is no "magic" verbiage per se.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's headed back to Brazil on March 30th next week and not planning on coming back. She's ok in signing the waiver for not having to come back to court for the decree hearing. She will sign this waiver in front of a notary public. Is this enough? She won't be in the US anymore after March 30th.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's just asking me to forward her the divorce papers once the judge declares its granted.

Yes, this should be enough - the waiver has to specifically say that she waives ALL RIGHTS to hearings and rest of the court matters.

After that, she doesn't even have to sign the decree (but it helps if she does).

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you for your opinion. I think I will go this route as she just wants to leave no strings attached.

You are very welcome. Good luck.

Ely, Counselor at Law