A person brought a large suitcase into my apartment

Customer Question
A person brought a...

A person brought a large suitcase into my apartment presumably to wash clothing inside the suitcase, however he has left this large item in my apartment, that takes up space and has presented a safety hazard, because I am elderly and disabled. I have asked him to remove the suitcase, but he has refused saying he doesn't have anywhere else to keep it.Finally I had to tell him to remove it or I would have it donated to Goodwill.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in California. Can he take me to small claims court to seek some sort of financial relief for the lost suitcase and its contents?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have attempted to reach him by phone, but he won't or can't respond. I tried to give him a deadline--the end of the month.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have gotten the support of my social worker, who has offered to get a helper to move the suitcase and take it to Goodwill.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

This is called bailment. Bailment describes a legal relationship in common law where possession of personal property is transferred from one person (the "bailor") to another person (the "bailee") who subsequently has possession of the property. The bailee then has a legal duty to keep the property safe.

This duty of bailment lasts either until (1) the agreement's end date, or, (2) if no end date, then whatever reasonable date would be on a case by case basis.

What someone in your situation wants to do is to send a CERTIFIED LETTER to her, giving her a REASONABLE deadline to pick up the property (I'd give 30 days) and if she does not, it'd be disposed of. Then - arguably - the bailee has no legal liability.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.