My son has lost his social security card and does not know…

My son has lost...

My son has lost his social security card and does not know the number. What is his best solution to this problem? His local bank is threatening his account if he cannot provide a USA Social Security number.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is your son in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Hi was born in Delaware in 1987. Lived until 1995 in California. Moved to Israel in 1995.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken so far?

Nothing but asking me and my ex husband if we perhaps have the card. Neither of us has found it in our files

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How quickly might this problem be solved?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Does he not know his number or he needs a new number/card?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Neither he nor I know his social security number. That's what we are looking for.

In that case you'd want to contact the social security administration. This is where you'd go: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know the address of the social security administration. But is it possible to get this information? He and I are guilty of misplacing the card. Now that banking regulations require US citizens to identify themselves via the SS#, he needs the number. It is possible to retrieve it?

There social security administration would be the folks that would retrieve it. Anything else has the potential for fraud.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What evidence will they ask him to produce? How will he prove who he is? He has Israeli Identity papers. Are these going to be enough?

Does he have a passport?

A birth certificate?

A driver's license? Any other US documentation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
US Passport.

That's perfect. That's what you'll provide them with.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can providing evidence online including a picture of the passport be adequate? Or will he have to travel to the USA to collect the card? Is the local Jerusalem Social Security office prepared to handle this problem efficiently and accurately?

Y​es, the local SSO will be able to handle the issue and no, a picture is very unlikely to be adequate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For an appointment with the local SSO, does he use the link you sent when we started this conversation? Or is there another route to the local office? Is there any means of doing this quickly?

N​o, that link would be if you're contacting the US Social Security Administration.

A​nd to be honest, quick is not exactly highly likely.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should he both use the link and place a call to the local SSO?

1​00% YES :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a fine to be paid for misplacing one's SS card?

I believe there is a replacement charge. Would you like me to try to find out what it is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All this information is very helpful.

O​kay, the replacement card is free :)

Is the citizenship for a US born or foreign born citizen?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Since he needs this info for his bank so his account won't be closed, what can he do or say to the SSO to get their help? Will anyone care about the banking situation? Might there be a temporary statement -- We are working on solving this problem -- that SSO will send his bank?

No, I'm afraid not. Unfortunately you'll either get a sympathetic bank employee or not in this situation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
telling the bank that he's working on the problem might generate some empathy with the bank but SSO cannot be expected to move quickly for his sake, right?
New question: I registered in person while recently in Mission Veijo SSO to change my surface mailing address but the check that arrived after I'd registered had been sent to my old address. How many weeks or months should I anticipate waiting for this new address to be processed in the SS system?

Y​es, telling the bank might generate some empathy but definitely don't expect a quick turn around b/c they need to do their due diligence and verify everything.

I wouldn't be able to tell you how many weeks. That would be a question for the SS administration.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dealing with the SS Admin is a headache unlike any other agency. It's always as if the money they are holding in my name is ***** ***** mine. And the help I need is an annoyance for the customer service personnel. Do you have a contact person who gives service anywhere in the SS worldwide network?

N​o. We would call the main number same as anyone else :) Is there anything else I can answer for you? If you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this a one-time service? If I rate and end the conversation tonight, am I welcome to have another conversation without paying again?

Honestly, I try to answer as many questions as possible under the same thread - but if you ask me how to fix the clog in your kitchen sink I'll have to tell you to start a new thread ;-)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can a pre nuptial agreement be amended after the wedding? Or should the requested changes be added to the will?

S​o, that would be along the lines of the completely unrelated questions that the site requires people to post as new questions. But I will answer this one: A prenuptial agreement, by its very nature, comes before a wedding and so someone would need to do a post-nuptial agreement in order to have a different set of terms.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Rated 5 stars.

It's my pleasure :)

And, just for future reference, I want you to have a way to get back to me directly (if you want). If you need anything and you want to reach me you can do so by clicking HERE or https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-droliviak-jd-md/?rpt=3800 or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney