I want to see what options my daughter might have concerning…

Customer Question
I want to see...

I want to see what options my daughter might have concerning collections on rent not paid/eviction

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

My daughter signed a lease with 2 others. They kept failing to pay their portion. She ran out of money. Eviction happened and went to collections. We want to pay her 1/3, but collections want her to pay all or it will go against her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is all.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

I'm going to try to save you some money here... paying your daughter's share of the rent owed will accomplish nothing as far as collections goes. This is because rent is an all or nothing proposition and there's no means by which they can legitimately say "okay we won't put it on your credit report but we'll put it on Person A's report b/c Person A did not pay "their" share. Please let me know if I've answered your question. I understand that this is not good news and I apologize for that. I hope you don't take it out on me or my rating... I have an ethical responsibility to tell you what the law actually is - and even if I didn't have that obligation I'd still want you to avoid a legal headache if I possibly can help you avoid that! So I just need you to know what you're up against. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 2 months ago

Hello there. I wasn't sure if you got my last answer to you two days ago... I know if feels like paying your daughter's share will fix the problem but paying her share of the rent won't accomplish anything as far as collections goes. This is because rent is an all or nothing proposition and there's no means by which they can legitimately say "okay we won't put it on your credit report but we'll put it on Person A's report b/c Person A did not pay "their" share. I understand that this is not good news and I apologize for that. I hope you don't take it out on me or my rating... I have an ethical responsibility to tell you what the law actually is - and even if I didn't have that obligation I'd still want you to avoid a legal headache if I possibly can help you avoid that! So I just need you to know what you're up against.