I'm married to a retired vet for 25yrs, if divorced am I…

Second opinion] I'm married...

Second opinion] I'm married to a retired vet for 25yrs, if divorced am I entitled to any benefits?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Hawaii

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No chain, retired.

3/22/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
still waiting.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

How many years of service does your spouse have? How many of those years were during the marriage?

10 yrs of service with a medical retirement and 7 yrs married while in service.

Thank you.

You'll be entitled to half of his retirement earned during the marriage, which will be paid directly by your husband. DFAS isn't able to send the payments to you directly since you were married for less than 10 years of his service.

To claim medical benefits, I'm afraid you would need at least a 15 year overlap in the marriage and his service (20 to get benefits for more than one year). It is possible to ask that he be ordered to pay for you to get medical insurance on your own, but you won't get the same benefits you're getting now. You also have a right to seek alimony if you're not able to meet your basic expenses using your income, including your share of his retirement pay.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney