I'm married to a retired vet for 25yrs, if divorced am I…

I'm married to a...

I'm married to a retired vet for 25yrs, if divorced am I entitled to any benefits?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Hawaii

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No chain, retired.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/21/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
I can’t do a phone call, but I can answer online.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't get an answer.
In working on your answer now
Federal Law allows state courts to treat disposable retired military pay as property divisible in accordance with the laws of the state court.Technically, a state court can divide retired pay by any legal standard, according to its state law or its Code. In Hawaii the court Ghey follow the courts follow the Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act which has authorized state courts to divide military retirement pay, much like a civilian pension.The courts will divide military pensions by a fraction made up of the number of months the marriage overlapped the military service divided by the total number of months of military service and then that number or percentage multiplied times 1/2. So, if a marriage lasted 10 years, and all 10 years were while the family was in military service, and the military member served 20 years, the non-military member may expect to receive 10/20 X 1/2 of the pension, or 25% of the retired service member’s disposable retired pay.In order for the Department of Defense (DOD) to pay a portion of a military member’s retired paydirectly to the former spouse, the following guidelines must be met:(1) The ex-spouse must have been married to the military member for a period of at least 10 years, with at least 10 years of the marriage overlapping a period of military service creditable to retired pay.(2) Direct payments will not be made for division of retired pay in excess of 50 percent (even if there is more than one ex-spouse, the total of all payments cannot be over 50 percent).I hope this clarifies and helps. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question.
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer