We have been renting for 3 1/2 years found out landlord

Customer Question
We have been renting...

We have been renting for 3 1/2 years found out landlord wasn't paying his mortgage. January 2018 we received a 136 page packet from mortgage company's attorney for foreclosure and appointing a selling officer at that time we stopped paying rent. February we received notice from the selling officer informing a auction date March 1 and details of bidding on the property. We than start making arrangements to move out by March 31st. A week ago we received a five day notice from the landlord for back rent Jan-Mar and on yesterday received a summons to appear in court on 3/26.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

What paper work I'm not understanding your question

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

3505 Bently *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes what are our rights and what we need to do and do we owe him that money?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 month ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. From a legal standpoint, if you remained in the rental, there is still an obligation to pay rent to the landlord. Yes, the home may be in foreclosure but that is between the landlord and the bank and does not mean you can reside there and live and not pay rent. The landlord would be in breach of the lease and your right to quiet enjoyment, if they failed to pay the rent and you were going to have to vacate, as a result of this but you need to place them on notice of this and allow them to cure and reinstate the loan and then sue them, for damages suffered, if they fail to do so. While it is not right that they are pocketing your rent and not paying the mortgage, it does not allow you to remain and live for free.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer