Can a bankruptcy settlement be used against me if I sign a…

Customer Question
Can a bankruptcy settlement...

Can a bankruptcy settlement be used against me if I sign a lease before the settlement

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

Brooklyn NY and no nothing has been filed against me yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

No we are in landlord tenant court now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 4 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

What do you mean "used against you?" As in, factored into your bankruptcy, or, the landlord cancelling your lease, etc?

I own a commercial building with my daughter and it is a 50/50 deed and she signed a lease with a tenant. 8 years ago. The tenant is trying to get me on the lease agreement. I think he is trying to get me on the lease because I did a settlement on a fraudulent conveyance that has nothing to do with my daughter saying that also is his landlord. The settlement was last year. What do you think?

We can never be sure why he is trying to get you on the lease. However you do not have to do this. The lease is perfectly valid and lawful with only one owner (the daughter) signing off as the landlord. Someone in your situation has NO DUTY to sign on.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Did not get the answer tof the question I asked but did get some clarification on another issue. Ask for a phone interview and left my number but didn't get a call back

The site does not show that you requested a phone call. Please, if you want one - try again. You should see that option on your screen.

I am not sure how I missed your question; I thought I answered it; please let me know what I missed and I'd be happy to reply. Thanks in advance.