My son in law purchased a used vehicle from a private party…

My son in law...

My son in law purchased a used vehicle from a private party in 2015. Lost the bill of sale. DMV won't register the vehicle unless he has previous owner information. Is there a California Law that allows him to access this information. The vehicle history report shows that it was last registered in 2011 - that is the report from Car Fax.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your son-in-law talked to a CA lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son-in-law taken so far?

Went to the dmv - completed request for information. He does not fit any of the permissible uses listed on the form, other option is to state a California Law that allows him the information.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The car has been sitting in his carport since 2015 - does he have a right to the previous owner information? if yes, how can he obtain.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Your son is trying to register a car that has been sitting in his carport for 3 years - or he tried in the past to register it?

he tried in the past, 4 years ago.

And does he know who he purchased it from?

No, if you read the information I wrote, we are trying to get that owner's information. Please read my initial, I need to know if there is a law that allows him to receive bbq the previous owner information.

No, there is no law that entitles him to information on the previous owner of the vehicle - because if there was anyone could come along, obtain that information, and state that they purchased the car from that person. Which is why I'm trying to ascertain whether he knows who he purchased the car from - because that person may not have been the rightful owner of the car (which is the person that you asked about).

Unfortunately he lost the bill of sales. DMV says they have that on record but will not release to him. The car obviously is not stolen , or it would show up on the DMV report. He bought it from a craigslist ad - private seller.

Does the car have the license plate from the previous owner - or no license plate?

he has the plate and the vin. I ran a carfax report -the vehicle was last registered in ca in 2011.

Okay... there IS something you could do which is sort of a work-around for your problem. You could try to go to the DMV - maybe a different DMV and ask about a "salvage title" which *may* get them to give you the information you need to register the car. Alternatively, you could try one of of online sites that lets you put in the plate and see who it is registered to.

Ok, thanks, We will try the salvage title online first. Thanks for your assistance.

This is a website you could try: https://www.searchquarry.com/car-plate-search/?trackstat=blog76

It'll let you do a quick search and maybe that'll give you the prior owner of the plate! :) If you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Of course, you were great. Thanks so much

It was my pleasure. Thanks so much for your rating! And, just for future reference, I want you to have a way to get back to me directly (if you want). If you need anything and you want to reach me you can do so by clicking HERE or https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-droliviak-jd-md/?rpt=3800 or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.